Job fairs are a great opportunity to network and connect with potential employers, especially if you’re still doubting in which direction you want to take your career. To make the most of this opportunity, however, it’s important to come prepared. At a career fair you have only a few seconds to make a lasting first impression. So check out our tips to make them count!
How to stand out from the crowd
A job fair can be very overwhelming with many job seekers and employers in one place. With proper preparation, you can stand out from the crowd and increase your chances of finding the right job opportunities for you. How do you prepare a resume that truly shines? How do you make sure that you connect with the right people? And how do showcase your skills confidently and enthusiastically?
- Research: Check out the list of the companies attending the fair and the positions they are offering. Note down the ones that interest you, as well as their main mission and offer.
- Resume: Update your resume and take several copies with you to the fair.
- Highlight your relevant skills and experience: Focus your resume on the positions you are interested in, to make your resume more appealing to the potential employers.
- Keep it concise: In a job fair setting, you have limited time to make a lasting impression. Focus on the most important information for potential employers.
- Make it visually appealing: Use a clean, professional layout and choose a font that is easy to read. Nowadays you can find several platforms to help you create a beautifully designed resume, such as Canva.
- Practice: Prepare a brief introduction and possible questions so you get al the info you need to choose between job opportunities. This will also help you come across confident and enthusiastic about your job search.
Find your perfect match
By following these tips, you will surely make a strong first impression at job fairs and increase your chances of landing your first job. But most importantly, doing your research and preparing the right questions will help you identify job opportunities that fit your competences and ambitions, and increase your chances of finding the right job for your future career success. In the end, that’s what a job search is all about.
Want to know more about working for Verhaert On-site Consulting? Check out our page for job candidates or meet us at the next job fairs: Groep T Leuven (21/02/’23), Hermes Gent (23/02/’23), VTK Leuven (09/03/’23) and KU Leuven in Gent (17/03/’23).